Tasting Room Bartender
Reports to: Tasting Room Manager
Location: 400 Hallett Ave. Riverhead, NY
About Moustache Brewing Co.
Moustache Brewing Co. was founded in 2012 by husband and wife team, Matthew and Lauri Spitz. Truly a labor of love and passion, they opened our doors for the first time in April of 2014 on a one barrel system in Riverhead, NY. In June 2016 we expanded to a seven barrel brew house, nearly quadrupling our capacity. We are self distributed throughout Long Island, NYC and parts of Westchester and Hudson Valley. Our beer portfolio is constantly changing and we produce dozens of different beer styles every year. We pride ourselves on independently producing quality beer brewed with love and ingenuity.
To create independent beer with intention, purpose, love, ingenuity. To create positive social and environmental changes in the world around us while influencing others to do the same. To do work that matters. Make a difference in people’s lives. Not tomorrow, but today.
Company Core Values & Beliefs:
Brewing beers that are made to the highest standards.
Do everything with intention, care, passion, and love.
Be mindful of reducing our impact to the environment at every step of the process.
Promoting and exercising responsible enjoyment of beer.
Constantly innovating, improving, and evolving.
To share our knowledge and educate others.
Lead by example and inspire change for the better.
Using what we have to make positive social and environmental impacts to the world around us.
Grow in a way that is economically and environmentally sustainable.
Summary of Position
Our bartenders are the face of the brewery for all guests and are instrumental in creating a top notch experience for each guest in our tasting room. They educate our guests about our company, brewery, and beer, while making each guest feel welcome and a part of the Moustache Brewing Co. community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Greet guest promptly, within 45 seconds of their arrival, with a smile and acknowledgment. If you cannot get to a guest within the time frame, greet them and let them know you will be with them shortly.
• Communicate with guests using clear words and enthusiasm, eye contact, and positive tone and body language. Make guests feel appreciated through your actions.
• Be at full alert to guest signals, such as when they are raising their hands or looking directly at you, for orders.
• Process guest payments using the POS system; make change accurately, reconcile cash drawer at end of shift.
• Work as a team with all brewery personnel to maintain an effective atmosphere with efficient service.
• Educate guests about our beer, beer in general, and the processes behind making it. Lead tours of the brewery.
• Be proactive about keeping the workspace behind the bar, the retail space, tasting room clean, and bathrooms clean and fully stocked.
• Check identification of customers to verify they are of legal drinking age.
• Assist guests in selecting beers as well as recommending beers that we have decided to highlight.
• Being familiar with all beers available, able to give tasting notes, answer questions regarding beers attributes, ingredients, and styles.
• Ensuring proper quality of all beers served and performing quality control when needed.
• Monitor and ensure guest are served responsibly. Limit problems related to customers excessive drinking and refuse service in a discreet and calm manner to anyone who is unable to be served by following established procedures.
• Arrange merchandise and packaged beer into attractive and functional displays. Monitor inventory as needed.
• Comply with all health, safety, and hygiene standards and policies.
• Perform all other duties as needed.
Experience and Education
• High School Diploma or equivalent required
• TIPS and/or Serve Safe certified (required with in 30 days of hire)
• Cicerone Server certification or higher preferred
• Brewery experience a plus
• Prior experience in fast paced hospitality environment
• Effective communication skills
• Efficient decision-making in occasionally stressful situations
• Awareness of signs indicating intoxication of guests and other concerning factors
• Ability to work efficiently under minimal supervision
• Ability to make calculations and figure out change quickly and accurately
• A good memory to recall regular guests, remember drink orders from large groups, etc.
• Embrace change; we are a young, fast paced company, things are constantly evolving.
• Willingness to give and receive feedback in a constructive manner
• A friendly, outgoing personality and confidence in interacting with people. Able to build rapport with guests and team members.
• Strong work ethic and a willingness to support other departments as necessary.
• Calm professional demeanor in all situations.
• Honest and trustworthy.
General Job Requirements
• Must be 21+ (Job requires tasting beer)
• Weekends and nighttime availability required
• Scheduling flexibility required
The work for this position is partly performed in a tasting room environment, and requires occasional trips to the warehouse and production floor. The production aspects of this job take place in a working brewery environment, which involves the following:
• Hot, cold, steamy, foggy, wet conditions
• Noise (up to 90 dB)
• Exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, hot water, cold water, hazardous gases, and pressurized vessels
• Exposure to machinery with moving parts
• Wet floors
• Occasional entry into confined spaces
• Sitting, standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing
• Lifting up-to 55 pounds and moving up to 165 pounds with assistance
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time
• Continuously reach, bend, lift, carry, stoop and wipe
• Remain stationary for extended periods of time